2018-05-17

Bauer retires from ambulance after 40 years of service to area



By David Bohlander For long-time Herreid resident Joanne Bauer, what started out as a desire to fill a need would turn into a lifetime of service to the community. In 1977-78 Joanne’s husband, Stan, was a volunteer on the fire department and ambulance crew. Often times while the men were out for a fire call the ambulance phone would ring […]

Fundraising efforts will begin for local share of new transit bus



Campbell County Community Transit is starting the process of securing matching funds for a new public transit van The Federal Transit Administrator will be responsible for 80 percent of the cost and Campbell County Community Transit will be responsible for the remaining 20 percent. The cost of the new vehicle will be around $60,000. Campbell County Transit’s share would be […]

Herreid High School and other area schools plan graduations



Graduation ceremonies will be held this weekend at various schools throughout the Heartland for members of the Class of 2018. Herreid High School will hold their ceremony on Saturday, May 19, Strasburg’s ceremony is Friday, May 18, and Zeeland will hold their ceremony on Saturday, May 19. Herreid The Annual Baccalaureate and Commencement Ceremony for Herreid High School will be […]

Proposal to amend Marsy’s Law will voted on at primary election



There will be a statewide ballot issue decided at the primary election on Tuesday, June 5, and all registered voters, regardless of party affiliation, can vote on the measure. The proposal, known as Constitutional Amendment Y, was placed on the primary election ballot by the SD legislature’s passage of HB 1162. The proposed amendment would revise certain provisions relating to […]

Just a couple of regular Joe’s



Thank you for reading our news. An active subscription is required is to view this content. Please Login below or Subscribe today!

Wellness Clinic



Thank you for reading our news. An active subscription is required is to view this content. Please Login below or Subscribe today!

“Bus to Books” Reading Room makes future plans



The Pollock Community Reading Room had its last school year “Bus to Books” activity on May 7. Following a successful year of helping children find and check out desired books for their enjoyment and learning the process of returning them, the committee decided to try it again next fall beginning Oct. 1. Since there was no response in regard to […]

Herreid School Board approves preschool program for 2018-19



At the Tuesday, May 8, Herreid School Board meeting, the board voted to have a preschool program beginning with the 2018-19 school year. A group of parents of preschool aged children attended the meeting in favor of proceeding with a preschool curriculum for the Herreid School District. The board decided to offer the program on Mondays through Thursdays, and the […]

Kirsch injured in four wheeler accident Saturday evening



An accident Saturday evening sent a Pollock man to a Bismarck hospital with life threatening injuries. Jason Kirsch, 42, was westbound on an Arctic Cat 700H1 four wheeler on Lakeview Drive in Pollock. He lost control of the vehicle while attempting to turn left onto E Ave. Kirsch, who was not wearing a helmet or a seat belt, was thrown […]

Made With Love



It’s that time of year again that I am sharing some rhubarb recipes this week. Have a good week! Rhubarb Bread1/2 cup butter, softened1 cup sugar2 large eggs2 cups flour1/2 tsp. each baking powder, baking soda and salt1/2 cup light sour cream1/4 cup milk1 tsp. vanilla11/2 cups rhubarb, dicedsmall Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x5x3” loaf pan with cooking […]